Practical advice on tennis racquets, strings, balls, shoes, clothing, and more.
By Jeff Cooper
Find the best tennis racquet for your style of play. Learn about racquet weight, balance, stiffness, materials, and other factors that determine a racquet's power, control, maneuverability, and shock absorption.
- Racquets FAQ
- Racquets Quiz
- Racquet Glossary
- Tennis Gear Quiz
- How to Choose the Best Racquet for Control and Power
- Photo Illustrated: How to Apply an Overgrip
- The Tennis Master Quiz
- Evolution of the Modern Racquet
- Finding Your Tennis Racquet Grip Size
- What to Look for in Tennis Racquet Overgrips: Video
- Buying an Adult Tennis Racquet
- Buying a Tennis Racquet for a Beginner
- Buying the Right Length Racquet for a Junior Player
- Review of the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick Cortex Racquet
Learn how to choose the best strings and string tension to give your tennis racquet the most ideal mix of power, control, comfort, and arm safety.
- String FAQ
- Strings and Stringing Quiz
- Choosing Racquets and Strings to Prevent Tennis Elbow
- Tennis Racquet Care and Stringing
- Tennis Gear Quiz
Learn about the various types of tennis balls and their differences in performance, durability, and construction.
- Choosing Grips, Overgrips, and Balls to Prevent Tennis Elbow
- Review of the Dunlop SpeedBall
- The 24(?) Types of Tennis Balls
Clothing and Shoes
Learn how to choose tennis shoes that fit your type of foot and give you optimal support and cushioning. Make a better sun hat than you can find in any store.
Courts, Court Equipment, and Practice Tools
Tennis court surfaces; court equipment; and ball machines, tools, and gadgets used for practice.
- Court Surfaces FAQ
- Court Surfaces Quiz
- The Pros and Cons of Slow Hard Courts
- The Pros and Cons of Fast Hard Courts
- The Pros and Cons of Grass Tennis Courts
- Clay Courts: the Good, the Bad, and the Debatable