Question: Are tennis balls safe for dogs?
In the 1980s, the dye in regular tennis balls was reported to increase the risk of cancer in dogs who ingested small amounts of the dye that dissolved in saliva as the dog held the ball, and special tennis balls were made for dogs, using a safe dye. I have been unable to find information on whether the dye currently used in tennis balls is unsafe for dogs. People have also reported incidents of dogs swallowing pieces of tennis ball and needing surgery to remove them. If you have any references, please post them in our
Index of 14 Ball Questions