2012 Tennis WTA Tour Year in Review Quiz
2. Russia had four players in the top 20 at the end of 2012, Maria Sharapova at #2, Nadia Petrova at #12, Maria Kirilenko at #14, and Ekaterina Makarova at #20. Italy and the Czech Republic each had two.
3. Maria Sharapova defeated Sara Errani 6-3, 6-2 in the 2012 Roland Garros women's singles final to claim the one Grand Slam title she had never held and to thus join only 9 other women who have won all four majors.
4. Roberta Vinci played 28 tournaments in 2012, the most among the top 20 women. The next busiest was Dominika Cibulkova, with 27.
6. The Czech Republic won the Fed Cup title for the second consecutive year in 2012, defeating Serbia 3-1. Lucie Safarova contributed two wins in singles, Petra Kvitova one.
7. Serena Williams defeated Victoria Azarenka 6-2, 2-6, 7-5 to win her fourth US Open singles title and her 15th Grand Slam.
8. Victoria Azarenka finished 2012 with the number one ranking, her 10,595 points only 550 ahead of Maria Sharapova's 10,045.
9. Serena Williams of the USA defeated Maria Sharapova of Russia 6-0, 6-1 to win the gold medal at the 2012 Olympics, and Victoria Azarenka of Belarus defeated Maria Kirilenko of Russia 6-3, 6-4 to win the bronze. Serena's gold medal completed a career Golden Slam in singles, as she has won all four of the majors. Azarenka's bronze was the first Olympic medal ever won by Belarus.
10. Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova 6-4, 6-3 to win the 2012 WTA Championships final.